There can be several different levels involved in editing a written work: copy editing, stylistic editing, and more in-depth substantive editing. Whichever level or levels is required, we guarantee we will work carefully and accurately. Your confidentiality is guaranteed.
In all of our editing, we read for bias and inaccuracies, and we will alert you to any materials that may be libellous (offensive to an individual) or that require copyright permission to reprint (quotations, poems, song lyrics).
When we copy edit your work, we correct
- faulty grammar
- incorrect punctuation
- misspelled words
- consistency in style, use of numbers
- suggest how to replace misused words and phrases
- check that headings/subheadings are well placed
- edit tables, figures, and lists
- edit photo captions if requested to do so edit notes, references, and bibliographies (our editors
- are well versed in MLA, APA, and Chicago citation styles)
In addition, we create a Style Sheet that outlines the rules of punctuation, how numbers are used, what is capitalized and what is not, and how words are spelled, depending on the choice of Canadian or American usage. We identify the specialized words you use so that they are used consistently. A Style Sheet ensures consistency throughout the document.
Copy editing can move quickly if your writing is clear and sharp. This is called a “light copy edit.” If your work requires more detailed copy editing, it would be a “heavy copy edit” and would take a bit longer.